Saturday 29 June 2013

Sesame and Linseed Biscuits- Seedy Pleasure

This week I thought I would try something new. I've never made biscuits which focus on the flavours of seeds but a quick browsing through the home baking aisle in Sainsbury's showed just how cost effective it is to buy packs of seeds instead of using nuts or good quality chocolate. I'm always looking for something that will save me a little money when preparing foods. Yes, ready made from the supermarket is often cheaper but there's nothing like baking your own. 
Sesame and Linseed Biscuits- Seed goodness in a sweet form

Ingredients for baking my seedy pleasures- sesame and linseed biscuits

Makes 25+ biscuits
100 g of sesame seeds
100 g of linseed
150 g of caster sugar
2 eggs (or one large double-yolk egg)
1 tsp vanilla extract or flavouring
2 tbsp plain flour

Making my linseed and sesame cookies was pretty simple

Biscuits and a teddy bear- sesame and linseed cookies

My recipe instructions..
  1. Oven was preheated to 160 Celsius, (315 Fahrenheit or Gas Mark 2-3)
  2. I Beat together a very large double yolk egg, the vanilla extract and the caster sugar until they were all combined into one wet paste.
  3. I added the two tablespoons of flour to the mixture, turning it into the paste
  4. Then I turned the sesame seeds and linseed into the mixture. It will feel a little runny but this isn't an issue. 
  5. I set aside four baking trays covered with greaseproof baking paper although you could do two batches if you choose. If you do worry about sticking to the paper you could use shot of sunflower oil fry light (one calorie per shot) 
  6. I placed 6 teaspoons of the mixture onto the covered baking paper as the mixture feels pretty runny. I've made the mistake of putting too much mixture too close in the past. It will run outwards over time so don't place it too close!
  7. I baked each tray of biscuits for 15 minutes in the preheated oven.
  8. After allowing each tray to cool I moved the paper sheets of biscuits onto a wire rack for further cooling. 
Lone male in the kitchen
Nothing better- coffee and cake with my home-made sesame seed and linseed biscuits

Why use sesame seeds?

There are a large number of health benefits of sesame seeds
  • Sesame seeds are rich in antioxidants which can help towards fighting cancers.
  • High levels of minerals like iron and calcium give them a significant nutritional value.
  • They're high in polyunsaturated fats which are the healthy fats.
  • Sesame seeds are mentioned in many Ayurveda texts for their health benefits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment