Friday 31 May 2013

Simple Baking- Shortbread Biscuits

I love to bake. Although as a man (read 'bloke') it seems that a lot of women I know find it rather peculiar for a guy to like to bake cakes. I find it rather peculiar that traditionally bakers were predominantly male yet a man baking at home is often seen as something slightly effeminate.

A Simple Shortbread Biscuit Recipe
My amazing looking first attempt at shortbread biscuits- I'm pretty pleased

Ingredients you'll need for my simple, yet gorgeous shortbread recipe
  • 100g of unsalted butter
  • 100g of plain flour
  • 50g of cornflour
  • 50g of caster sugar
  • A 18-24 cm round sandwich tin for baking (it can be square too if you choose)
  • A sheet of baking paper to line your sandwich tin.
Instructions for making my Shortbread
  • Preheat your oven to 170 degrees Celsius, 325 degrees Fahrenheit, or Gas mark 3
  • Throw all of the ingredients into a blender or food processor and pulse until your mixture comes together to form a slightly soft dough.
  • Line your sandwich tine with baking paper. Make sure you have the shinier side facing upwards to where you're going to put your dough- I've made this mistake!
  • Press out the dough into your sandwich tin and ensure the top is flattened off as no one wants wonky shortbread.
  • Bake for 30 minutes on the middle shelf in your oven.
  • Upon removing from the oven sprinkle a little extra caster sugar over the top of your shortbread or alternately you could add a little cinnamon. 
  • Cut your shortbread into eighths and leave to cool for 15 minutes before serving
My shortbread biscuit round recipe is a personal favourite



What I do have, for my sins is a very sweet tooth.

There's something manly about shortbread. I'm not quite sure if it's the burly Scotsmen in their kilts on the front of some of the supermarket packets or the majestic castles on the front of the tins you get at Christmas. A biscuit for real men has to have some crunch while retaining a degree of simplicity that shouts-"Eat Me!"


No comments:

Post a Comment