Thursday 8 August 2013

Picnic Panache- Cheesy Savoury Muffins With Double Gloucester

We've been lucky this summer as July has been a fantastic month and August is usually fairly warm too. This weekend is also forecast to be nice so I thought I'd make some picnic basket filling cheesy Double Gloucester savoury muffins in case the opportunity arises to savour them in the sunshine. The British summer is usually so short that we learn to really make the most of it.

Lone male in the kitchen
Double Gloucester cheese savoury muffins- Ready for a summer picnic

Cheesy Double Gloucester Savoury Muffins Ingredients- 

Makes 10-12 muffins depending on tray size.

250 grammes of self-raising flour
150 grammes of finely grated Double Gloucester cheese. (You could use Cheddar if your prefer)
250 ml milk
3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
3 large free-range eggs

You'll also need
1-2 muffin moulds- Silicon are ideal 

1-2 large baking trays
2 mixing bowls

Instructions- How I made my cheesy savoury muffins

Lone male in the kitchen
My gorgeous savoury muffin recipe
  1. I set the oven at 200 Celsius warming ready. 
  2. I greased my silicon muffin moulds using sunflower oil 1 Cal spray ensuring the sides and tops of the moulds were well greased by spreading with a paper towel. 
  3. I placed the silicon moulds on solid baking trays for stability.
  4. I then mixed together the self-raising flour, herbs and grated cheese in a large mixing bowl.
  5. In a separate bowl I whisked together the eggs before mixing them together with the milk.
  6. I then proceeded to add small amounts of the egg and milk mixture to the dry ingredients in their bowl. Mixing roughly to fold the ingredients together before pouring more egg-milk mix into the bowl and stirring again. Once I had mixed it all together I was left with a relatively heavy, lumpy paste.
  7. I then added the Extra Virgin Olive Oil to the mixture and stirred in roughly. 
  8. I separated the mixture into the muffin moulds ensuring that the amount in each mould was around half a centimetre from the top of the mould to allow the savoury muffins to rise whilst baking.
  9. I baked my cheesy savoury muffins for 15 minutes until they starts to go a golden colour on top.
  10. After leaving to cool for 5 minutes I turned the trays out ready to tuck in or save for a picnic as these muffins once cooled should keep for around a week in a sealed container for freshness.
Lone male in the kitchen
Perfect for a picnic- Double Gloucester Savoury Muffins

No comments:

Post a Comment