Saturday 14 September 2013

Lemon And Lime Cookies With Poppy Seeds Recipe

My citrus lemon and lime cookie recipe with poppy seeds

Lone Male In The Kitchen
Lemon and Lime zest cookies with poppy seeds

There's an amazing smell in the kitchen right now. There's a waft of lemon and lime throughout the house which is giving a fantastic citrus aroma. The bonus to that is that I really love the sour sweet taste of lemon. I'd rather have something lemony for dessert than chocolate and that seems really strange to friends and colleagues but that's just me!

Ingredients for making my Lemon and Lime Cookies

125 grammes of softened unsalted butter
175 grammes of caster sugar
The zest and juice from 1 lemon
The zest and juice from 1 Lime
250 grammes of plain flour
20 grammes of poppy seeds
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder

Lone Male In The Kitchen
Grating a lemon to add it's zest to my cookies

Making my lemon and lime cookies with poppy seeds


1. I started by melting the butter and sugar together in a large bowl perched over the top of a small bowl of hot water to allow the steam to warm the base of the bowl and slowly melt the butter. I find it's a great way to stop it being heated too quickly and curdling.
2. I then grated the zest from a lemon and a lime, adding it to the mixture as well as a healthy squeeze of the juices from both fruits.
Lone Male In The Kitchen
Lemon and Lime zest ready to use in my biscuits
4. I then sifted the flour, baking powder and poppy seeds into the mixture before stirring together with a wooden spoon until the mixture starts to form a dough. I then continued mixing together with my hands to really knead the dough together as it will feel rather soft and putty-like.
5. I split the mixture in two, then rolled it into balls and covered with cling-film and placed in the fridge for an hour to harden.
Tow balls of cookie dough in the fridge ready to roll out
6. After removing the dough from the fridge I further rolled it out into long round tubes and placed back in the refrigerator for a further hour
Two long tubes of lemon and lime cookie dough ready to go back into the refrigerator for an hour
7. Upon removal from the fridge I thinly sliced the tubes of dough to create rounds around 5 millimetres deep and then placed them on baking trays covered with greaseproof baking paper. The rounds will spread out slightly so it's best to leave around 2 centimetres to an inch between rounds prior to baking.
8. I then baked my lemon and lime cookies for 12 minutes at 170 Celsius (325 Fahrenheit or Gas Mark 3)
Lone Male In The Kitchen
My lemon and lime zest cookies with poppy seed straight from the oven
Once baked, turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool for 10-15 minutes before enjoying.
Lone Male Bakes
Lemon and Lime biscuits and a cuppa- Nothing better for a relaxing afternoon

No comments:

Post a Comment